Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will shut you down in a heartbeat if you have more than “X number” of emails going out within an hour. It is a blanking pain in the ass to divide your bulk list and set a timer to wait till the next hour to send the next batch of emails out! We solved this problem by adding “leak out” capability to Outlook. Now you can tell Outlook to “Take A Leak” as you simply adjust the amount of emails that you want sent per hour to stay under your ISP’s limit.
Here are some popular email providers and their rate limits and SMPT limits.
Please note, providers change their email policies frequently. It is always a good idea to contact your provider and ask them about their email send rate before starting your bulk email campaign.
Google Gmail Email Send Rate Limit & Restrictions
- Gmail email send limit – no more than 500 recipients per message for the Gmail web interface, or max 100 recipients if you are using an email client software.
- Gmail other SMTP limits – outgoing messages sent via Google Gmail can not exceed 10Mb per email (including attachments)
- Google Mail Policy - http://www.google.com/mail/help/program_policies.html
MSN Hotmail Email Send Rate Limit & Restrictions
Hotmail email send limit – no more than 100 recipients per day.
- Hotmail other SMTP limits – outgoing messages sent via Hotmail can not exceed 10Mb per email (including attachments)
Yahoo Mail – Email Send Rate Limits & Other Email Restrictions
- Yahoo Mail email send limit – no more than 100 emails or recipients per hour
- Yahoo Mail other SMTP limits – max 10Mb per message for the free Yahoo Mail Service, or 20Mb per message for Yahoo! Mail Plus
- Yahoo! Anti-Spam Policy - http://docs.yahoo.com/info/guidelines/spam.html
Lycos Mail – Email Send Limits & Restrictions
Lycos Mail email send limit – max 25 recipients per message and max 250 emails per day
- Lycos Mail other SMTP limits – Lycos Mail does not have a limit to the attachment file size at this time.
- Lycos Email Policy - http://info.lycos.com/legal/mail_terms.html
AOL Email Send (Rate) Limits
- AOL email send limit – no more than 100 recipients per message or 500 recipients per connection
- AOL other SMTP limits – max 16mb per message
- AOL email-outbound policy - http://postmaster-us.info.aol.com/ipt/
I will be happy to provide you with a list of email providers with higher hourly / daily limits, just drop me an email and ask for the email providers list.